Thursday, October 10, 2013

Folding Chair Makeover

2013-09-24 001

I have had this folding chair in my garage for several (or maybe 10) years…I use it occasionally for when I set up at a craft show or when I have a garage sale.   I have been looking for a chair for the guest room and it occurred to me that this chair would work fine for that. But I wanted to paint it first.

2013-09-26 024

I made chalk paint with some plaster of Paris and a free sample jar of Valspar in Posh Red. Love those coupons for free sample sized paints in the magazines I subscribe to (Coastal Living, HGTV Magazine, Country Living, This Old House). 

2013-09-27 007

I put on two coats of the chalk paint and then waxed it really well with MinWax paste wax. Usually one coat of the paste wax is good, but I put two coats on this beauty! 

2013-09-27 009

Love the satin sheen to the chair!  Turned out really well, there are some areas where the natural wood shines through, that’s what I love so much about the chalk paint, you can control how much of the original wood shines through. 

2013-09-27 006

2013-09-27 018

2013-09-29 002

Loving the way the wax brings out the color of the chair!

2013-09-29 0032013-09-27 023

I may be linking to some of these great parties!

signature21

9 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

I love it!

Deb Robertson Writes said...

Looks really lovely. The colour is perfect.

Leslie Creech said...

Did you sand it before applying the chalk paint? How much plaster of paris do you add to the paint? Great job, as usual.

Unknown said...

Your chair turned out really pretty. I love those samples too. I rush in and get one every time I get a coupon.

Crafts a la Mode said...

I just bought 2 of those chairs last week. I love what you did. We didn't have that much luck when we were doing the homemade chalk paint. It had a very gritty feel to it but your chair looks shiny and wonderful! LOVE the color. Your friend, Linda

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Now it looks like a real chair, what a fabulous makeover. I love it. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Grandma Linda's Daydreams said...

Love the color, a great accent for the room! And thanks for the inspiration! I better get busy paint some of my old shabby chairs!
Fall blessings! Linda

Jill said...

Great makeover of that chair Ellen - it looks brand new and just a perfect complement to the room!
Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Katie @ Creatively Living said...

What a fantastic makeover! I love it with the pillows! Thanks for linking it up at Monday Funday!