Saturday, December 1, 2012

My Vanilla Extract Experience

100_6339

I pinned this months ago (it was pinned from here) and I wanted to give that a try, thinking it would make great Christmas gifts.  You can find the directions to actually make the extract.

100_6332

The whole project was somewhat time consuming, mostly because I had to find the bottles for the extract.

100_6334100_6335

I don’t have color printer, so just printed my labels in black and white.  Then I used a colored pencil to spiff them up.  I chose two different labels, both of which I found searching on Google images. 

100_6339

I like the round ones and added different colors to the labels and cut them out by hand, so they aren’t perfect.  That’s OK with me because I am not perfect either! 

100_6342

The bail bottles I found (one or two at a time, I might add) at stores like Marshalls, TJMaxx and Home Goods.  My plan was to use those exclusively but I just couldn’t find enough of them.

100_6344

So I found these little 4 ounce bottles on eBay for less than $1 each, including shipping, the bail top ones ranged from $1.99 to 2.99 each.   The vanilla beans came from OliveNation.com.  They were much cheaper there than in the stores like World Market.

100_6356

My feline assistant had to help with the photo shoot of course!  I must tell you this is a project you have to plan months in advance because the beans need to steep in the vodka for 3-6 months (depends on who you ask) for it to be optimally flavored.

100_6346

I am linking to these great parties!

Signature

14 comments:

jennifer said...

Ellen- I've been thinking about trying this and I'm wondering a few things: did you just do this today or this past week? Is it ready to taste yet? (If so, how is it?!) Did you see that one of the comments from the reference you gave suggested that it takes up to 6 months for it to really come around to the right taste? All these things I wonder about-- please let me know what you know!

Mary said...

I have a gallon of vanilla extract waiting to be bottled but lost the link for the bottles I wanted. Will have to look on eBay. Love your labels. Thanks for sharing.

Diane Higdon said...

I made some last Christmas for gifts. I just love the way it smells. The vanilla beans are pretty messy though. It was fun doing it. Thanks for sharing. :)

Mary Smith said...

I just posted about making vanilla as well! I added a link to purchase bottles on amazon
http://maryshealthymeals.blogspot.com/2012/11/diy-foodie-gifts-vanilla-extract.html

Sally said...

Making my own vanilla is something that I have wanted to try for a while now! Your bottles and labels look cute!

Sara said...

What a neat gift idea! I may have to do that for next Christmas. I would love if you linked it up to our blog hop: http://sneakyspoons.blogspot.com/2012/12/frugal-crafty-home-hop-1.html

allisamazing said...

I love your black and white labels!

Carrie said...

I have also really been wanting to make my own vanilla and I'm super excited to try it! I love how your bottles turned out! I'm a new follower from the Manic Monday blog hop! Hope to see around my neck of the woods as well!!

DayswithDylan

Jill said...

Cute little bottles Ellen! What a great idea for a gift!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Holly Lefevre said...

I had a workshop at my house about 8 weeks ago to make vanilla (I posted about it too). I made mine last year and oh my - I used it all up. You cannot beat the flavor of this homemade stuff! I did not track down bottle...I ordered mine (much easier). The bottles you created look great...you will enjoy it and the gift will be appreciated

The Busy Bee's said...

WOW!!! What a great idea! We would like to invite you to a blog hop! We are co-hosting with Adorned From Above. We would love to have you link up. The party is live and will run through Sunday. You can link up at thebusybhive.blogspot.com
Hope to see you there!
Thanks
Joye & Myrna
The Busy Bee's

Sew Can Do said...

What a neat idea. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do:)

LilyWhite said...

Very Cute idea! Would you link this up to my blog hop? I think that my readers would really enjoy it! Thanks!
xoxo, Jordan

www.lilywhite-designs.net

Unknown said...

Wow...I am gobsmacked that you made these! They are stunning.

I would love to invite you to my new blog link up My Style Sunday . Your creativity is infectious!