Saturday, June 30, 2012

How to make beaded cluster earrings

100_4785
OK, several people asked for a tutorial on how I make cluster earrings.  This is definitely the easy version! 
100_4740
You will need a few supplies and tools--2” head pins, jump rings (either 9mm, 12mm or 15mm-I am using 15mm here), earring wires (lots of styles to choose from, doesn’t matter which one), some beads (or an elastic threaded beaded bracelet with the beads already on the head pins—EZ!), and a few tools--jewelry wire snips (scissors or even fingernail clippers work well too), round nose pliers, and regular pliers. All of these supplies were half off at Hobby Lobby, every few weeks jewelry findings are on sale!
100_4741
Ok, if you are using the bracelet (by the way it is $3.99 regular price at Michaels—I paid $1.99 for it with a 50% off JoAnns coupon) cut the elastic thread and your beads are all ready to slip on the jump ring. The jump ring needs to be opened in a twisting manner, not by just pulling the ends apart.  Go here to see a really good video on how to open and close jump rings.
100_4743
So get the jump ring open, holding onto it with the pliers.
100_4745
And start adding the buttons that are already wired.  Just slide the metal loop onto the jump ring.
100_4748
Slide the earring wire onto the jump ring and close the ring when the earring is as full as you want.  Repeat for the second earring, making sure you put the same number of beads on each earring.
100_4752
TaDa!! That pair is done!
100_4758
OK, if you go the other route where you need to add the wire to the bead….start by putting a head pin through a bead, pulling it snug and then folding the wire down around your round nose pliers. 
100_4759
There is basically no way for me to explain this and photograph this while I am doing it, so go here to see how to do this.  That site is great for a lot of basic information on how to use different tools and make just about any kind of jewelry, well worth the time to visit.
100_4761
So here is the end result…
100_4763
Now just repeat the same steps to make the earrings.  For this second pair I used shorter wired beads and the beads that I wired. 
100_4764
You can see that the ones I wired are a bit bigger and the wire is longer, so they hang down farther.
100_4767
TaDa!!!
100_4769
So now, I decided to use some small “scrap” beads left over from other projects.  I just slid them onto a head wire and made my little loop and strung them on the jump rings the same way.
100_4772
I love this combo of blues and browns and natural colors together.
100_4779
TaDa!!! (I’m sure that surprised you, huh?)
100_4781
You can also use just a few wires on each earring. This is a simple combo that makes a very pretty earring.
100_4784
I am linking to these great parties!

SignatureDIY Club

12 comments:

emilysnan said...

hiya , fab easy tutorial x thanks for sharing
crafty hugs xmaggiex

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Very nice! I featured your bracelets on my blog today!

Anonymous said...

Wow! So nice! Looks so easy to make too! Thank you!

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

Very nice..I like the color of your earrings,Thanks for sharing the making of theses.
Following your blog now, come & join me for some more fun idea :)
Thanks

Amy said...

These look great Ellen, thanks for linking up to Totally Pinworthy!

Would it be all right if I featured these on www.andsewwecraft.com?

Jill said...

Beautiful Ellen! I really must try making some jewellery sometime! All those pretty shiny beads! I'd love it!


Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Kari said...

These are too pretty! Thanks for sharing this great tutorial!

Jeannie @ Living Loving Crafting said...

I love making my own jewelry and this is something fun to add to the list!

Kristin said...

These are so cute! So many possibilities! I'm definitely going to be buying some jewelry supplies new trip =)

Unknown said...

I love them all! Thank you for sharing. Had to pin these! :)

Unknown said...

I love them all! Thank you for sharing. Had to pin these! :)

very merry vintage style said...

Great tutorial. I love the color of those blue beads. Thanks for linking up to STL Wednesday!
Mary