Friday, January 25, 2013

Those pesky facings!

One of my pet peeves as a seamstress and as a wearer of clothes is facings.  Facings that creep out of necklines, from around arms, from down the front of clothes.  Clothes that you pay $$$ for! 

100_6647

This little girls jumper is a prime example…when it was hanging in the store I noticed the facing stick out the neck!  I told you it was a pet peeve!

IMG_5978

Here’s another top with a facing askew!

100_6654

This cotton top of mine was a constant struggle to keep the facing in…so much that I hated to wear it!  I loved the color but not that dang facing.  So what can you do about it??

100_6650

Enter, this product…Heat N Bond fusible tape (it comes in several brand names, widths and I think it even comes in black).  You can find it at Hobby Lobby, Wal Mart, JoAnns, even Michaels.  It basically fuses two pieces together. 

100_6652

Just tear off a piece of the fusible and slide it between the layers you want to stay together.  It tears easily and works with just about every kind of fabric thickness and content.  Worked beautifully on this denim.

100_6671

Iron that baby flat and hold it for the amount of time the package calls for.  Sometimes I don’t really read the directions, actually, come to think of it, I never read the directions!

100_6655

Worked great on this cotton knit top, I fixed it about 6 months ago and have worn it a lot.  The stuff stays put through many washings. 

100_6658

I found this cute pink corduroy jacket at Salvation Army and it fits really well and it a great color, $5!  But that front facing flapping down both sides had to go! 

100_6662

I stuck my strip of Heat N Bond down the front and ironed it on.  I was afraid to iron the front side of the jacket because it was corduroy.  So anyway, it worked perfectly.  And looks so much more professional…

 

100_6653

Here’s the girls jumper and the next picture is a pretty all wool jacket that had flapping facing all down the front, I was constantly tucking it back where it belonged!  Now it is very easy to wear because it stays put! 

100_6704

I might be linking to these great parties! 

signature21

15 comments:

♥Duff said...

wow! What a great idea! I have a great top that I don't wear very often because I have to watch the facing. you're so clever! thank you!

misskma said...

Why haven't I thought of that before, so smart.

Crystelle Boutique said...

What a great idea!
I hate those things sticking out!

hugs x
Crystelle

Anonymous said...

This is a great post for someone like me who can't sew a stitch. Thanks for sharing!
melinda

Cyndee@Restyled-Junk said...

Oh! I've got some of that tape and a top that is driving me crazy. Thanks to you reminding me, I will be fixing it today!

Visiting from Keeping It Simple-Motivate Me Monday.

lyndyjo said...

Great idea! I have a couple of my kids' shirts that we don't use for that reason. I have sheets of the stuff, I'll just cut out a piece the right size. Thanks!

Kara @ Petals to Picots Crochet said...

Great tip! I hate when that happens too :)

Unknown said...

Genius!! I am literally wearing a shirt that has the facing sticking out of it right now and it's driving me crazy. I want to go buy some of that fusible tape immediately.

shamrocknanna said...

Thanks for the tip. I have several things I can fix now.

thingsforboys said...

Great tip! Flappy facings are the worst!

Chris Lucas said...

Great tip and thank you for sharing... sometimes it's the simple things that are the most effective.

Unknown said...

Great tip!

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Great idea!! PINNED!

Crafts a la Mode said...

Brilliant~ the kind of thing that is pesky you are right. Thanks for sharing!!

kellythom747 said...

i did not even know thats what those are called- thank you ! I learned something...
cheers, kelly from joyandgladnessofheart.blogspot.com for {Vanessa craft}