Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Ruffle Yarn Infatuation

I discovered ruffle yarn or ladder yarn (that’s what I have heard it called).  Well, maybe I didn’t actually discover it, but I have discovered that I love to use it. There are a lots of different kinds out there…like this…

ruffle yarn

and this…

ruffle3

Here are some close up examples…

ruffle2

ruffles1

Ok, so I found some ruffle yarn at Hobby Lobby (and it goes without saying that I used my 40% off coupon) for $4 and knitted my first scarf in an evening watching TV. Here’s what it looks like…

100_2893

This is the yarn label…if you notice there are nice directions that show you how to use the yarn.  Of course when I started my knitting, I didn’t see those directions and ended up looking up the “how to” on YouTube. 

100_3396

Since making that first scarf, I have made three more.  One beautiful rose and pale green scarf for my mom for Christmas and two more for me.  This red ombre is a fun color. 

100_3363

But this one is my favorite…it reminds me of peacock feathers. 

100_3395

This yarn was $14 at a local yarn shop.  Such beautiful colors!

100_3366

The interesting thing about this yarn is that you use the loops of the yarn to cast on and knit with. 

100_3371

100_3374

I am linking to these great parties…

Signature

22 comments:

Terriea Kwong said...

This looks so soft, so stylistic and versatile. I was wondering how it's knitted. Now I know with your last picture. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

That is so interesting! I haven't heard of this kind of yarn before. It's really cool. I LOVE the scarves you made with it. Thanks for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

Hanni said...

In this season I have made three ruffle scarfs: one for my mum, for my mum-in-law and for me. I love its exotic looking :)
This Katia yarn is beautiful. My mum's scarf had some similar color.
Love,
Hanni

Unknown said...

So pretty and a project that I can get done in short order :0)

Thanks so much for taking the time to share at Pin'Inspiration Thursday. Hope to see you on Saturday to help "Beat the Winter Blues". Have an awesome day.

Seaweed and Raine said...

Cool yarn! I've never seen it before. Does it only come in acrylic?
All 3 of your scarves look fab! :)

Megan Gunyan said...

That's awesome! I had no idea this existed! So pretty!

Mindie Hilton said...

I have never seen ladder yarn before, I want some now, your scarves are beautiful.
http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

Never heard of this before, but it looks cool. Happy you linked to Things I've Done Thursday!

Melanie www.bearrabbitbear.com

Biz said...

So pretty.
I've already given everyone in the family scarves...but now I can give them new fancy ones if I can just find some of this yarn!!!

Kara at Petals to Picots said...

Wow! That yarn looks so awesome!! I have never used it. Your scarves came out beautiful! Thanks for sharing them at my party!

Julie said...

Very pretty, I am inviting you come and be part of my blog hop:

http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/02/show-your-stuff-9.html

Alecia @ ChickenScratch NY said...

I love that green and blue yarn! Those are my colors so it's not a big surprise I guess. I would never have guessed that that's how its made! Thanks for sharing

Pieced Pastimes said...

I never heard of this yarn. The 'peacock scarf' is my favorite too, although they are all lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Aunt B said...

What pretty scarves! I'm looking forward to trying this!

Dwell on Joy said...

Oh my gosh! This is a dream project of mine! But, I just learned how to use my sewing machine, so one thing at a time for me :) Would love for you to come share at my link party: http://www.dwellonjoy.com/2012/02/dwell-on-fridays-three.html

Jan M said...

I obviously have not been shopping for yarn lately! Need to remedy that! Hope my scarves turn out as lovely as yours!

Jill said...

I've never seen yarn like that! It's amazing - and the scarves you made are just beautiful Ellen!


Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Celtic Thistle said...

Love your scarves, especially the blue/green one!

Amanda said...

The yarn looks wonderful, so many possibilities! Great scarf!

Six Sisters said...

These scarves are absolutely beautiful. And the price is amazing!!!! So cute! Thanks so much for joining us on "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We loved having you and hope to see you back next Saturday with more great ideas! -The Sisters

MiaB said...

So pretty!! Thanks for sharing this with us at Sharing Saturday.

~MiaB
www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

Teresa said...

I love your scarf made with the Katia Rizo yarn...actually my daughter saw it and gave a very subtle hint for Christmas. Could you tell me where I could get this yarn please?
Thanks very much.

Teresa