Friday, January 14, 2011

My "New" Coat

I had been looking for a new coat, but didn't want to spend the money for a really nice one!  Call me cheap, call me thrifty, whatever!
I found this one at Goodwill...I was actually looking for some primo wool to use to make flowers.  Sometimes I buy old wool coats for a bit of different textures to use in my wooling creations.
This coat fit me perfectly, felt good, looked good with some imagination and it was $20.  Brand name.  Problems:  only two of the seven buttons existed, it was dirty (see cuff above) and had a few areas to mend seams. 
So, I took it to the dry cleaners and went shopping for some buttons.  The buttons were almost two inches wide so I had my work cut out for me.  I ended up buying 1.5 inch buttons and tacking the button holes to make them smaller.
The buttons are black with a circular gold-ish design off center on each button. 
They add a lot of zing to the coat (that's my story any way!).
I wore it today for the first time and it was really warm and comfy!  And the Christmas scarf I got from my
friend Dorothy looks perfect with it!

10 comments:

jess said...

Very cute!! If anyone can visualize the potential in things at Goodwill, it's you:) We need to make another trip together next time I'm in town!

Tara@JustDevineStyle said...

Yo did a great job on the coat. I know how expensive a nice coat is. What vision you had. I love the buttons you choose. The coat looks great on you.

Jill said...

Great coat! and what a bargain!

Thanks for linking up to A Round Tuit! Hope you have a lovely week!

Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://jembellish.blogspot.com/

Sarah @ Sugar Bananas said...

Sometimes there's just nothing better than a wool coat. It looks great - and I'm glad you didn't cut it for crafts. Nice find! Thanks for linking to Sweets This Week.

Sarah

Unknown said...

Great Coat! I love it. You did good!

Sandra Toro said...

great job!!! is so beautiful now!!!!

Ginger said...

I love thrift store finds too! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

Unknown said...

Beautiful coat! Lucky you to have seen the potential in that Goodwill find. Thanks so much for linking up!

Misty @Creative Itch said...

You did a great job on your coat!! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

Holly Lefevre said...

I love this! You took a perfectly good coat and made it your own (for a fraction of what a fab new one would cost).