Friday, May 14, 2010

Mosaic Gazing Ball



I had been itching to make a gazing ball from a bowling ball...I was given a bowling ball (they are pretty easy to find at flea markets and yard sales for a bit of nothing.  Mine actually came with a carrying bag and a pair of bowling shoes!!) by a friend so I created a unique garden accent that looks great in my flower bed.  Since my flower beds are currently a mess and under construction, I modeled the gazing ball on the deck...I used bits and pieces of glass marbles-both flat and round, some millefiori pieces left over from another process, some mirror tiles, some glass beads, various and assorted glass tiles and curved glass pieces.  I started out to make several designs, but it didn't work out what I attempted initially...so this is the finished product!  I used a sanded grout adhesive mix so just stuck the pieces directly onto the bowling ball, working in sections and allowing that area to dry before moving on to the next area.  I had the gazing ball stand already and actually used it while applying the grout and pieces...I think it made it easier to handle the bowling ball.  I used the basic procedure I described in my post Mosaic Madness.

The work isn't perfect as you can see up close, but no one really sees it up close like here, so I think the finished product is great.

The mirror tiles didn't show up well in the photos but they reflect the light and make the gazing ball sparkle in the sunlight!

14 comments:

Ela@NewFamilyOnTheBlock.com said...

This is very pretty. I love all the colors. Awesome!!

Three Birds Inspired said...

I am actually shopping for a bowling ball (at yard sales) this very day for a similar project. Love how yours turned out!

Kate said...

This turned out so well! I love things that sparkle in the sunlight!

Stopping by from Crafty Saturday.

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

This is so cool! I will be posting a tutorial on making garden decor balls on my blog soon. Won't you stop by and see how it turns out? BTW, my header is full of balls from my yard, that gives you an idea. Your mosaic ball looks awesome!

Santa's Gift Shoppe and Ideas said...

Hi..I’m Barb….I am from Saturdays are crafty days .. I love your glazed bowling ball..Really neat!!
I am your newest follower. I hope you will get a chance to visit my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
& get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will follow me as well. Nice to meet ya new friend!!!

Bec said...

This is so neat! I made a stepping stone similar to this for my mom.

Melissa said...

I think it is lovely...

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

So pretty! I just adore garden projects and tis is fabulous! Love it! Hope you have a great week! Stephanie Lynn

NoDebtMomma said...

Great idea! I picked up a bowling ball for free from a garage sale a few weeks ago and took metallic spray paint and gave it a swirl effect. Now, I'll have to go find another one!

I found you through DIYD @ ASPTL!

Sam
http://momundecided.blogspot.com/

Rose :: FineCraftGuild.com said...

I'm very impressed.

In fact, i've been obsessed with making mosaics from all kinds of stuff.

For the last half a year we've been collecting kitchen tile pieces from the beach here....

I see a great mosaic coming up, and find yours inspiring!! Thank you for posting.

Decor To Adore said...

What a great Do It Yourself project. You are a clever and creative gal.

I just completed a project that took 23 years. Come take a peek.

Brenda said...

what a great use for a bowling ball..My dad had a bowling alley at one time - sure wish I would have kept some of those balls!!!! thanks for sharing!

Amber D said...

What a fun Idea both my Dad and my Cuz Bowl I"m going to see if they have any old balls.

CK said...

Wow! This turned out SO great. I bet it would be so fun to choose all the different marble pieces!

-CK