Sunday, May 23, 2010

Maps, Calendars, Dictionaries, Modge Podge and Cork Coasters


At Salvation Army at ten cents a piece...an 1980 dictionary and an old stained world atlas, plus an Avon calendar from 1980 with rose botanical prints.
Round cork coasters at Michaels--$1.99 for a four pack.  Hobby Lobby also stocks 4" square cork coasters. 
I used my Fiskars (I love Fiskars products) circle cutter to cut circles from the dictionary.  I used the H pages...not sure why because my last name doesn't start with an H!
I applied a thin coat of Modge Podge (matte) to both the cork and the back of the cut out paper, then stuck them together and brushed more Modge Podge on top.
I spread them out to dry without touching each other. I applied two more coats of Modge Podge to make them more solid...
The finished product!
i thougth the map ones turned out especially cool...England, Spain, Ireland...
But my very favorite ones are the dictionary pages...
Hug, huge, hue...
Homegrown, homeland, homemade
I thougth these would be great wedding gifts for newlyweds...or just for myself!
I am linking up to DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land 

12 comments:

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

The dictionary ones would be SO perfect for my house! I'm going to have to make some!!!

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

I really like this idea! You could totally personalize!

Renée said...

Cute, cute, cute! I've been looking for some coasters and not finding anything much. Thanks for your tutorial, I'll make my own!

Rory from Tools Are For Women Too! said...

Thanks for sharing and making this the most successful Modern Craftswoman Monday so far! Hope you'll join us again next week for more projects! Rory

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Cute idea and clever. I love the dictionary ones too, I would be reading them instead of being a good guest.

Laura said...

What a cute idea! I will have to try this. I also love the dictionary coasters.

Thanks for linking up to Saturday is Crafty Day!
Laura @ along for the

Melissa said...

I agree they would make great wedding gifts...

Diane said...

What a cute idea. TFS.

I came here from Along for the ride blog party. Hope you will visit me sometimes over at Pittypat Paperie.

Rose :: FineCraftGuild.com said...

These came out GREAT!!!

please check your email for a personal invite to join us next week on our blog.

a little bit of everything said...

Hi, followed you back from my blog - love this idea. So cute.

Unknown said...

i love the dictionary coasters :) come on over and link up to MMM!

silly eagle books said...

I loved the map garland and I love this idea, too!