Sunday, December 11, 2011

Sarah’s first blog post!

Hi, I am Sarah and I am so excited to do my first ever blog post! Ellen, my sister, has graciously asked me to guest post here on her blog. Ellen inspires me with her creativeness and keeps me motivated just by seeing all the awesome things she has made!
I am a crafter and a sew-er. I have probably tried just about every craft or needlework at least once. I love to repurpose and redo. Fabric, wood, and wool are some of my favorite things to work with. I have a HUGE fetish for wooden and metal boxes and baskets.
Here is my crafty work area in the garage thanks to my handyman hubby…
clip_image002
clip_image004
You can see many of my unfinished projects. You may see a few of these things in a future guest post, that is, if Ellen invites me back. :c)
Today, I thought I would share a project that I have been working on. Thanks to a local new Goodwill store (Ellen, we must go the next time you visit!), I brought this box home, thinking it might be wood. And it’s a box. So it was begging me to take it home.
clip_image006
It’s very cute, but I was thinking it would be even cuter as a rustic-looking box. So I removed the wooden letters on both sides and started sanding.
clip_image008
And… I think it’s fake wood. Actually, I know it is. So distressing the wood is not an option. Oh well, still determined to make this work. I sanded the corners to look more worn and then primed the entire box.
Next, I painted the box. It’s a good time to use up those paint samples (I have a gazillion since I am somewhat indecisive when choosing a paint color) and leftover wall paint if you have any. I have even been known to mix a few paint colors on occasion, such as the color below. I used a stiff bristled brush so the brush strokes would show when dry because I wanted to stain it to give it more of the real wood look.
clip_image010
On went the stain…
clip_image012
clip_image014
I decided to use scrapbook paper to fill the recessed area. I actually did not glue the paper in the area. I decided to use heavier scrapbook paper, make it a bit larger so it fits snugly and will stay on its own. That way I can change the paper to match the season or holiday. Or another thought would be to paint the recessed area with chalkboard paint. Or use mosaic tile. Or decoupage a child’s artwork. A recessed area on a box is a blank canvas just waiting for something creative to fill its space. I also gave it some new handles.
clip_image016

Here is the box Christmas-fied!  Pretty with greenery and Christmas paper on the side!



clip_image018 
Done!
Thanks, Ellen, for allowing me to share a bit of my craftiness! Love ya!

Linking up to these great parties!

Signature Sarah

8 comments:

Jill said...

Wonderful transformation of the box! It looks great Sarah! and welcome to blogging! I'm sure Ellen will invite you back again - your crafty work space looks very interesting!!!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Janet said...

Too bad it wasn't real wood, but you sure did a good job finishing it so no one would know. Great ideas about the recessed panel. Love it! Glad you linked up to get a Round Tuit!

Terriea Kwong said...

Great to see your pretty works as wonderful ad Ellen. The box transformed to very pretty. Hope to see you again.

South Bay Studio said...

I like all three of them. You're so ambitious, doing all the sanding, but they turned out lovely.....Kathi

Jennifer @ Bleu Pom said...

These are so cute! I love them. Thank you for sharing your pictures with us. :o)

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi! You made that box really wonderful! I like also that tree you found and changed the decoration!

Etcetorize said...

Great job Sarah! I love the idea of being able to change out the paper, so carfty...but in a good way. I'm glad you shared this at Etcetorize~

My Duong said...

Took a mental note of looking out for wood boxes. Yours turned out so great! Would love love love for you to share this at our party going on now http://space46.blogspot.com/2011/12/co-hosting-pinteresting-link-party-week.html. Happy holiday! My