I found a beautiful orange men's sweater at Goodwill...for $3, thinking I would eventually make some felted wool something or other with it. I was cruising blog land and found a pumpkin tutorial here.
Well, I bookmarked the site and thought I would make some fabric pumpkins at some point.
One day I was going through my felted wool/sweater stash (yes, I have such a stash) and found the orange sweater. It didn't felt real snugly, but it was such a great fall color...just perfect for the pumpkin project. I cut the pieces (there is a downloadable pattern on the site) out and tucked them away in a plastic ziploc.
Well, since I am doing "lap crafts" now because I can't bear weight on my left leg now, I dug out the ziploc and without following the directions, sewing all eight panels together. I had forgotten that I had cut two pumpkins out!!!
So anyway, here is what I did and it turned out fine, just a lot bigger than the original pattern.
The original oval type shape...
I sewed them all together with the seams on the outside for more rustic effect (should pumpkins be rustic?).
I left one side open for stuffing...and then I began to stuff it like it was a Thanksgiving stuffing. I used Morning Glory brand Cluster Stuff which is the best stuff I have ever used! It is not lumpy at all, sort of reminds me of foam stuffing without all the mess.
After stuffing almost a full bag into this poor little guy, I sewed the hole shut.
Then I took a felted green sweater and cut leaves out of it (I did a google search to get an idea of what pumpkin leaves are supposed to look like). This particular sweater had a drawstring hood so I used the drawstring to create the curlicues on top. I hot glue the leaves right onto the top, after I created a vein down the middle of each leaf. I also made one leaf smaller than the other one, figuring that leaves in nature are not perfectly the same.
I even hid a sweater seam I couldn't avoid underneath a leaf on the top.
And there it is~~an August pumpkin!!
There was a question about how I got the wool ties to make curlicues...I wet them with a heavy spray starch and then wrapped them around a size 8 knitting needle with clothespins on each end to hold them onto the knitting needle. I let them dry overnight and then they were ready!