Sunday, April 15, 2012

Dress from a toddler t-shirt

100_4027
This cute little girl is  my great niece Audrey…she just turned two a few weeks ago, so I made her a few dresses. 
100_3701
This one I made with a plain white t-shirt from Wal-Mart ($2.94) and a piece of knit fabric from the thrift store ($2).  I cut 1.5 inch wide strips of the blue fabric, cut the bottom off the t-shirt about 2 inches below the armpits.
100_3702
I also cut another strip for the skirt, just guessing how long to make it…
100_3705
I ruffled the skirt top and sewed it onto the cut off t-shirt. I made the ruffles around the bottom of the hem and around the neckline by sewing down the middle of the strips with a long basting stitch (it sort of gathers itself some and then you can gather it as much as you want to). Then I just sewed the gathered strips around the neck and around the hem.  And that was it! 
100_4029
The little drama queen tried it on, fell out of the chair and then fussed the rest of the time we tried to take the pictures.
100_4030
It fit her perfectly!  Such a cutie pie!
100_4031
100_3861
I am linking to these great parties!
Signature

20 comments:

p.s.phyllis sews said...

You did a great job. Your inspiration is so adorable!

Jill said...

What a gorgeous little dress Ellen! Fabulous upcycle of that plain t-shirt!
Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Such a beautiful dress. I love the colors. I wish I could sew because I would love one for my daughter. :) Megan

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Such a beautiful dress. I love the colors. I wish I could sew because I would love one for my daughter. :) Megan

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

Super cute, love that color!

HannahW said...

What a sweet dress! I made a dress .. OK dresses this week too! My "Lines Across My Face" offering is here: http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/04/how-to-tuesday-bunnys-birthday-dress.html

Alison Meade said...

This is so adorable, especially the ruffles around the neck! Thanks for sharing at Beautify It Monday - we can't wait to see you back next week!

Unknown said...

That is so cute and it looks soft and comfy too. Your "model" is about the cutest little thing I have seen, the dress is adorable on her!

Pam @Threading My Way said...

So cute and girlie!!! Love the colour!!!

Carrie @ My Favorite Finds said...

Adorable! I love the aqua color, and especially the ruffled neck. Thanks for sharing at Handmade Tuesdays

Carrie @ My Favorite Finds said...

Adorable! I love the aqua color, and especially the ruffled neck. Thanks for sharing at Handmade Tuesdays

Michelle said...

super cute! i have a friend who makes these for her girls. She uses seasonal print t-shirts. :D

Kara at Petals to Picots said...

What a cute idea!! Thanks for linking up to my party!! Have a great weekend :)

Unknown said...

Neat idea! She's a cutie. :) Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays!

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

So cute! The dress and the model.

Amy said...

Such a cute dress to suit the cute model!

Thanks for linking up Ellen!

Amy x

Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon Designs said...

Love the ruffles, the color... ok I love it all! This is such a sweet dress and your little one is just beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Take care,

Trish

Katie said...

How precious! Super girl with the ruffles, too!

MiaB said...

Cute!! Thanks for sharing at Sharing Saturday.

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

How darling! . . . The dress AND the little girl. Thank you so much for linking up on Fabulous Friday at Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust.

Warmly, Michelle