Sunday, January 8, 2012

Two boxes full of buttons

I went to an auction yesterday…I found two boxes full of buttons.  I just couldn’t help myself!  I bought them both, we won’t talk about how much I paid for them, but anyway I bought them!  I love to go through old buttons, one by one.  I love the clamshells ones, I love the fancy plastic ones, I love the jet black glass ones.  And this group of buttons had plenty of every kind!

100_3076

Love the turquoise ones…and these oval buttons, they are plastic, but so cute.  I am thinking they would make a great pendant.  They are big and flat.

100_3073

100_3070

Love the yellow orange flower buttons and another giant flat button…I can see another pendant there!

100_3067

This one is pretty interesting too, several layers of material, not sure what it is made of, but it doesn’t look like plastic.

100_3064

And there are lots of buttons on cards.  I like to see the prices!  Wish they were that cheap now!

100_3055

100_3054

More turquoise and these carved red buttons are great!

100_3053

And now a whole bag full of buttons I have set aside to use on a vintage button bracelet.  Lots of really neat buttons, mostly clamshell, some glass.  These will make a great bracelet!

100_3058

100_3059

I think these daisy type clamshell buttons are the best!  They are big and very detailed.

100_3040

100_3044

I wonder how these clamshell buttons are made…

100_3045

Looks like they need to be scrubbed a bit…

Linking up to these great parties!

Signature

10 comments:

High Street Cottage said...

This brings back such fond memories of my Grandmother, she had a large cookie tin full of the most gorgeous buttons. We'd spend so much time looking at each one, some fancy with rhinestones, other's pearly. Wonderful post, and treasure.

Michelle said...

I have to say I am a bit jealous. I am addicted to buttons and it looks like you got a good score here!

Dani said...

How gorgeous! Congrats on the great find! Can't wait to see that vintage button bracelet!!

Lauryn Ashli said...

pretty buttons!
i love buttons... oh the jealousy!
thanks for sharing!
{love} lauryn @ lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

For the love of buttons! Wow. I'm jealous too. All the crafts I could use those on. ;) Lucky you!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

So much fun - my kiddos would sort those forever! What are you going to do?

Gail said...

Put me in the jealous column. Ooooo the projects you can do with all these terrific buttons

Unknown said...

What a great find! What kind of auction did you find these at?

Maureen said...

Ellen,

I recently have this thing for buttons too. The ones on the cards, I hope you didn't remove them because they can be framed on the card and they look great. Saw this idea years ago on Martha Stewart. The one you aren't sure about it looked to me like shell; possibly wood?

Maureen

Maureen said...

P.S. I forgot - Alton Brown (from Good Eats) had a road trip and stopped at a button factory either in Iowa or Missouri. There is quite a bit of button history on these clam shell buttons. Very interesting story.

Maureen