I have been working fast and furious on items to donate to my church fundraiser (Sept 18) and my family's MDA fundraiser (Sept. 25). I always put together baby baskets, usually one for girls and one for boys. Well, I needed a boys item to design the basket around.
At Goodwill, I found baby blankets new in the package from Target, $1 for two receiving blankets!
I grabbed those things so fast and dunked them into my basket. There were eight blankets, so I spent a total of $4 on them.
I cut them into burp cloths first, and then used the spare pieces that were too small for burp cloths (I usually make them 12 x 18"). The pieces are actually rectangles, and I thought the quilt turned out so cute.
I used some spray quilt adhesive and actually machine quilted it myself! I was very pleased how it turned out.
It is really good sized for a baby quilt.
I used a cotton flannel for the backing and quilted it with my new favorite thread, the Signature denim color variegated thread that I used on these washcloths. I pieced some batting scraps that I had so the batting was free! The backing cost me $2.44. So, that is $6.44 for a quilt and 8 burp cloths.
I just quilted about 1/4" from each seam on the front, easy but I like the quilting!
The binding I used the minuscule pieces of the blankets that were left...I had six inches of fabric that was 3" wide when I was done with the burp cloths and the quilt.
The burp cloths I sewed wrong sides together, rounding the corners and then top stitched them after I turned them right side out.
I mixed up the colors, making the front and back out of different fabrics.