Monday, November 30, 2009

Corkboard Makeover Just in Time for Christmas!

This is the embarrassing before picture. I couldn't find anything I needed on this cork board above my desk. And there was a lot of stuff I didn't need there any longer. Like the Cub Scouts phone number list from six years ago and all sorts of jumbled notes and sayings...

I had this white board on the right inside a frame that my grandfather made probably 40 years ago. My mom had given it to me and since it was so big I put the white board in it. We eventually outgrew the white board so it has been hanging up in the garage for many moons. I bought a large cork board at the local thrift store for $4 to cut up and use for my new cork board.
After painting the frame a nice satin black, cutting the cork to fit the "new" old frame, and covering the cork board with this lovely Thimbleberries fabric (like vintage barkcloth in texture and appearance), here is the finished product. I will now have a smaller calendar and just put it on the board so I don't keep making holes in the wall with the thumbtacks.

I made these cute contrasting fabric thumbtacks (fabric covered buttons hot-glued to a regular flat thumbtack) to pin things up with...it looks a lot more serene and more "my style" in my bedroom which is slowly getting a makeover.


I have to keep my favorite sayings close to my visual field...like this one

and this one...

and this one....
Well this one is my favorite one of all times....

Don't the thumbtacks look good?

And the finished product!!

I am participating in DIY Day with Kimba at A Soft Place to Land and Metamorphasis Monday..come check it out!