Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Moonflower Vine

If you ever get to a chance to read the book "The Moonflower Vine" by Jetta Carleton, please do so...it is a great book about family dynamics and life. I read the book when I was young and it is something I re-read regularly.
After reading about the moonflower vine which was in the book, I discovered the seeds one spring in the store. I thought it would be cool to grow some. I think maybe in the last 20 years there may have been only one year that I haven't grown a moonflower vine.

They are really beautiful and the smell is heavenly. They start opening their huge (dinner plate size) blooms when evening begins. You can stand and watch the flowers slowly unfold and the fragrance comes with the opening.
Tonight I have six blooms, which is really nice. Some nights only one or two bloom.

I can almost smell them just looking at the picture!





No comments: