Monday, June 8, 2009

Father's Day Jar

My family is making my dad a jar full of memories for Father's Day....
I decorated a half gallon jar (WalMart for $3) and we are putting letters, notes, photos that represent a good memory or fun time with Dad/Grandpa.
This is how it all started...scrapbooking supplies...I used a friend's Cricut and made the cute little die cuts to decorate paper on all four sides of the jar.The lid was made with letters made from the Cricut and surrounding by rows of tiny dots of acrylic paint. I made lots of rows....
I used designs that reminded me of Dad....and made the tag from scrapbooking paper with a star eyelet holding it all together. I found some tiny cute brown ribbon that seemed to be made for the jar colors.

I had to include the John Deere tractor and the barn too!

Now the best part will be stuffing it full of fun stuff for Dad...
See this post for my personal contribution to dad's jar.
I know this is wayyyy early for a Father's Day post, but if you have a large family like I do, then it is best to get started several months in advance. It would also make a great birthday present or a Mother's Day gift as well.

Footnote:  My Dad passed away eight weeks ago, so this post is even more meaningful to me now.  He really enjoyed reading the contents of the jar and looking at all the photos and things that we had included for him. 

7 comments:

Ela@NewFamilyOnTheBlock.com said...

Thats a really cute idea!!

Renee said...

That is a great idea, you took something so simple and made is so special.
Great Idea!

Lianna Knight said...

Great job! Love it! Please stop by and enter my giveaway... http://jillybeansdoggieboutique.blogspot.com/2010/05/doggie-bed-giveaway.html

Renée said...

He will love it. What a fun idea that takes some effort and thoughtfulness. Thanks!

Joselyn said...

Handmade and thoughtful, what a great gift idea!

Christina said...

Oh Ellen! I love this idea, I'm definitely going to whip up a few for upcoming birthdays/holidays. Thank you so much for sharing! I'm sorry to hear about your father passing, but at least you were able to share with him how important he was in your life, and how much you appreciated him. :)

Dave Turner said...

Handmade and thoughtful, what a great gift idea!