Friday, February 5, 2010

I Need a Sewing/Craft/Weaving Room Makeover!!

OK, here's the deal...I am basically an organized person, but not always a tidy person...My sewing room is proof of that. I call it my sewing room, but it actually holds my floor loom which is giant and fills a goodly portion of the floor space.
I do keep like things together and try to organize, but when space is limited and I am working on something I tend to let things slide.

Take this closet for example...

or the loose ends of the ribbon spools...

or this basket full of tools, thread, bobbins, and STUFF!

Some people think I have a thing for scissors...there is a purpose for each type of scissors...Fiskars is definitely my brand. Although I do have one pair of Mundial and a few pair of Durasharps. I take them to be sharpened when the man comes to JoAnn Fabrics.
OK, fine! I do have a thing for Fiskars scissors. I love really sharp ones, but if they are Fiskars I want them.

Here's the view from the door. You can see the loom on the right. Currently I use it for hanging different projects on. I need to warp it (re-thread it) and get busy, but am lacking motivation at the present. The last time I warped it I spent 16 hours and got lots of bruises! It is faster with two people, but somehow I can't convince Sam to help me out.

My Grandma and Grandpa Hook sold me the loom. Grams has made rugs on it for a long time. I always wanted to learn from her. I watched her make rugs during summer visits, but never actually sat down with her and had her teach me specifically how to use it. I did learn mostly from a book, but also had to have Carol Leigh from Hillcreek Fiber Studio come out to my house and get me started. I made lots of rugs to start with and they were OK, but not very good. After a bit my skills improved.

These pictures were taken after an hour of organization in there this evening!

Glad this room has a door and is upstairs out of sight of the rest of the house!

No comments: